Richmond to Windsor Castle

I took part in the charity event to cycle from Richmond Park to Windsor Castle and back (return not part of the event). I thought it would be a good endurance and fitness test to do 50 odd kilometers one-way. I set myself a challenge of doing the return 100 Km’s in 4 hours on my fixie. That is at 25 kph.

I left home at 8 to reach the starting point in Richmond by 8.30. As usual with the last minute preparation and rush get there on time, I forgot to carry the basic tool sets ( pump, puncture repair kit.

I could not find the starting point, however I managed to catch up with other fellow riders who too were lost. Eventually we got on track and things were going all good. The only worry I had in my mind was a flat tyre. Especially when going off road, I got cautious. The chances of getting a flat tyre is no difference on both the surface, I could not help myself not thinking about it.

After ten minutes or so I started my N95 with the sports tracker, so I could log my ride and geo-tag all my photos. I love Nokia’s N95 but the GPS has not impressed me at all. It takes ages to get the satellite signal and the battery doesn’t last more than 3 hrs.

The ride was beautiful, by river Thames, countryside, farmland, beautiful mansions. I think England is a beautiful country especially when its sunny and the day is beautiful.

I reached Windsor castle in just above 2 hours averaging 22kph. The only problem I had was the GPS failed couple of times, that was about it.

After a break and enjoying Sunday roast with a pint of beer, I thought I would head back. To my disbelief I had flat tyre…

No comments: