Trekking in the Himalayas

Being brought up in Nepal, I never valued the fun of going trekking in the Himalayas. That to me was always in the bottom of my to-do list.

However after few years in Australia and climbing those small hills (which they proudly call mountains) I thought I would go trekking around the Himalayas.

When I came up with an idea, my parents thought there are better things to do in life ;-). I asked few of my friends in the travel industry to help me with my trip. Due to Maoist insurgency they suggested going around Everest base camp as its safer there.

So I booked a a return ticket to Lukla and embarked on a week long trek. I am not going in details about the trip, but here is the brief route plan.

Day 1: Flight from Kathmandu 1335 m- Lukla 2860 m
Day 2: Lukla to Pakhding 2650 m
Day 3: Phakding to Namche bazaar 3800m
Day 4: Namche bazaar to Dole 4200
Day 5: Dole to Luzo 4400M
Day 6: Luzo to Gokyo 5380 mts
Day 7: Gokyo 5380 to Gokyo Ri 5500 to Phurtse 3500
Day 8: Phurtse 3500 to Namche 3800 and Lukla 2860
Day 9: Flight from Lukla to Kathmandu

I however do not advise to do this trip in such a short period of time. I had originally planned a shorter trip, however after chatting to few other people i decided go to Gokyo which what two more days of trek than my original plan.

Trip highlights

I got a tour guide /porter in Lukla who charged me 10 euro a day. I still cant cant believe how he managed to climb after all those smoking. He asked for some advance to buy few things in Namche bazaar and he comes back with a t-shirt, walkman and cowboy hat..Hen ended up spending all his money!!

Spaghetti Bolognese
I was gobsmacked when they asked me if i wanted to have a pizza (margarita) or a Spaghetti Bolognese in Gokyo. Gokyo has 1 hotel and maybe one of the most remote part of the world.

Playing a game of pool at 4000 mts
My guide stopped over in one of the hotels for a game of pool on the way to the Everest!! Thats when you say living life for the moment.. I love the Sherpas...

and lots and lots of other good times up above the clouds..

No comments: