Fixie - Fixed Gear Cycles

Fixie, Single-speed, Fixed gear, Fixed wheel is all the same thing. Its a bicycle with a single gear and without a free wheel. Its a bike where you cannot coast, day dream or not paddle to be in motion.

It takes bit of a time to get used to but once you start getting into the groove, you will love it. Sometimes I think its similar living in London. "Either you love it or you hate it."

I have just converted a 80's Raleigh racer to a fixed gear.. I know, it was not easy, but was worth the wait. I could have just got a fixed gear from the store but i wanted to ride something thats bit old, classic and has character.

So after winning the bid from from ebay(it was a bargain), i got the bike posted to me within couple of days. I rode the racer without any modifications for few days and was fun. It was heaps lighter than my other road bike and the best bit was easier carrying it up the stairs.

So i started looking for all the bits i needed to convert it into the fixed gear. I went to the local Evans Cycle to get it converted but the wait was way too long..So i decided to order the wheel sets myself.

With a lot of help from Sheldon Browns website i managed turn it into a fixed gear. There are still little bit and pieces i need to put together but its almost there.

Its taken me more than 3 months, 6 holidays in as many countries. Its getting there. Now this weekend I plan to do Richmond to Windsor (38 Mi ) on my single speed.

Lets see how it goes.

No comments: