The South Downs Way Randonnee Challenge 2008

This is a 100 mile off-road bike ride which is often said to be one of the toughest off road challenges in the UK. It is to be completed in a day and it covers 10,000 ft of hill climbs, which is 1/3 the size of Mount Everest.

The ride starts from Winchester flowing the South Downs way (Longest stretch of Bridleway) through the scenic Hampshire and Sussex countryside. The race finishes in Eastbourne offering the riders the ultimate challenge is off-road, cross-country riding.

It is not a race as such, the challenge, achievement is the completion. All riders are to carry their own water, food, refreshments and equipments they may need to recover in the event of a breakdown.

I don't know what made me sign up for the competition and days prior to the race I was thinking if I was way too naïve and unrealistically optimist. I did couple of rides (30, 40 odd miles) off road cycling, however not anything of that distance

On the day of the race, 3 of the other riders I met at the hotel were talking about the big ride ahead. One was veteran with 4 rides, the other 2 rides, another one and myself with no previous ride ;-). So you can imagine how was feeling before the start of the race.

Host of the B&B, John prepared a great breakfast at 5 in the morning. I don't remember waking up that early in the last few years.

The veteran took the lead to take us to the starting point, but after few miles he had no clue where we were going. It took me good half hour to find the starting point. So by the time I started, the riders doing the 65 miles were all on their way.

Fortunately I did not have any punctures and any mechanical problems. I fell off couple of times because I had not had much practice with my clip-less pedal. That too while climbing the uphill. Fortunately I survived without any broken bones.

I did the first 30 odd miles in a decent pace. Then after due to heat (Yes!!, I am now thinking of going somewhere cooler to avoid English summer), I was going a bit slower. The last 35 miles was the fastest as I and other fellow riders were trying to make it to the checkpoints before the cut-off time.

I was leading the way, and there 4 cyclist following me in the last 10 miles. I was bit skeptic making a turn at one point, however the 4 cyclist too agreed with me and damn we were in the wrong track.
However I managed to get into the track after few wrong turns ( don't ask me how) and eventually complete the race. I can tell you that last 8 odd miles is the hardest..

So far this has been the hardest, gruelling and toughest challenge that I have completed in a day and is also one of my favourite..

Now I don't plan to sit in that saddle for the next few weeks.

Race Overview
Distance covered: 162 kms
Average speed: 12.9 km/hr
Maximum speed: 162 kms
Total time 13 h 45 minutes
On the saddle: 11 h 38 minutes

Recharge (Food and Fluid)
3 Bananas
3 Protien bars
2 Plums
2 Ham, Spinach, cheese and tomato sandwich
3 Energy gel
5 Litres of fluid

Tips for completing the race:
Go in a steady pace and try to maintain that throughout...
Fluid, fluid and more fluid
regular breaks and try filling in your tummy with something every 10 miles. (fruits, sandwich etc)
Don't listen to those doing 65 miles, they can demotivate you ;-)
Enjoy.. the ride is spectacular..


No comments: